Sunday, February 20, 2005

John Raitt RIP

I went looking for information about Hunter S. Thompson, whom I have always found painful to read, when I found a headline that John Raitt died and realized that probably few people alive today would even know, were it not for his rock star daughter Bonnie.

Now, I am one who has sworn off singing showtunes. But John Raitt was a legend, the man was the kind of singer I wish I could be. I once purchased a value-priced CD of a 1970's revival of Carousel in which he played Billy Bigalow. The man must have been in his late forties or early fifties, playing the role he had originated back in 1944. If only to hear him sing "Soliloquy," you should hunt the recording down and buy it. The man had an amazing voice.

I wouldn't even know who he was if it weren't for my mother. She knows a lot about singers of that era. The guy made only one movie that I know of: "Pajama Game" with Doris Day. His greatest work was on the stage.

He appeared with Bonnie on Larry King once about eight years ago, when she was hot off her Grammy win. King interviewed him, but it was mostly about the two of them singing duets on many of his songs from Broadway. He still had the sparkle. And the look in Bonnie's eyes as she watched him sing.

1 comment:

Donita Curioso said...

An amazing voice, yes. He was also very, very handsome.

It was always a treat seeing Bonnie and her dad together. They clearly adored each other.

She's one of my favorites. She has this easy, "like falling off a log" singing style that goes straight to my heart. Singing to her comes as naturally as breathing.

And John... ahhhh. Yeah, what a voice. A gal could get lost in it.