Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Costume Malfunction

I had hoped to celebrate Halloween as a Triceratops this year. It has been a dream of mine for some time now. The problem is that I can't sew. I have many friends and loved ones who can, but I never think to ask them until the night before I need it. Usually I get looks that remind me of the looks I'd get from my mother when I was in high school when I'd ask her to type a research paper that I had not yet finished writing the night before it was due.

This year, I asked around two weeks in advance (okay, it might have been one week), which was considerably earlier than years past, but not soon enough.

After hearing about how long it would take to do the tail alone, I realized my dream would yet again have to wait.

I tried downsizing my costume to a bear, then a bunny rabbit--but each of these apparently take time as well.

So, I opted to asking for a fez cap, inspired by the likes of Tiki King and Howlin' Hobbit--not to mention Laurel and Hardy.

My friend Do stepped up to the plate, in spite of having plenty to do otherwise. She whipped together a dandy black fez with a reclining crescent moon and star on the front, and two tassels intertwined--gold and black. I did have to attach a couple of hair clips, but it looked beautiful. On the night of her Halloween party, it looked great and there were no problems.

I wore it to school today. I didn't have any hairclips but, miraculously, it never slipped off my head when I looked down. It was kind of warm in my classroom, so I was perspiring under my hat. But I was comfortable.

At the end of the day, when I tried to take the fez off, my hair mysteriously clung to it. My sweat had mixed with the glue that held the cloth to the hat's base. I pulled it off with caution. Fortunately, the glue was pretty diluted, so I didn't lose huge chunks of hair. But my hair stuck like Larry of the Three Stooges until I could smooth it down.

6 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Excuse me while I giggle like an idiot....

I'm so sorry! Give it back to me and I'll reglue it with waterproof glue. I should have known!

suubfekn- what Jeff was mumbling as he struggled to take off the fez.

Donita Curioso said...

By the way, when we were cleaning up after the party we found little blue flowers all over the place. You could really tell where Jeff had been. It was a great looking costume. Bill said you should always dress like that.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I didn't wear the whole costume. I loaned bill the grass skirt and lei and never got them back. I was supposed to pick them up after myMt. Roob walk. But I knocked on their door at around 7-ish and gotno answer. I didn't hace my cellphone with me.

Stopped b at that paper company, but they had nothing except the more expensive grass skirts, so I just went with the fez and a couple of cheap leis. Then, I remembered That I had an arow through the head thingy, so I wore that too.

vivage said...

Ok, so next year you can be a Triceratops and I'll fix it up for you. But we'll start in the summertime! Maybe even sooner.

Course if we get it done too early you might wear out the novelty. Could you resist wearing it before Halloween?

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! I can just see him lounging around the house in it.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Maybe that's why he didn't answer the door.