Saturday, August 23, 2008

To Sleep, Perchance to Apneate

So I have trouble sleeping.

I wake up in the night. I start to think. Suddenly, I get caught in this vortex of the day's issues and I juggle them in my head, trying to solve them--but never solve them. Sometimes, I just wear my self down and fall back to sleep. Often, I juggle the problems until morning.

I also snore pretty badly. I have most of the symptoms of sleep apnea. I usually wake up a couple of times a night.

Since lack of sleep can effect a whole lot of things badly, I finally got my doctor to refer me to respiratory therapy.

I went to this workshop yesterday to receive a diagnostic machine that would monitor my sleep at night. The trainer showed us how to wear it and what to wear with it and answered all of our questions.

We were instructed to strap ourselves to our machines and try to record at least five hours of sleep. The problem for me was that we were told to sleep on our backs, which I never do.

I took a pill before bed, lay there for about an hour, then fell asleep. I awoke about an hour and a half later. And I just lay there--first thinking about the device and it's monitors wrapped around my torso, taped to my finger, and stuck up my nose. Then, I started ruminating on the day's problems.

And I tried to make myself comfortable on my back, but I couldn't.

So I just lay there.

I tried my breathing meditation, shifting my neck, rearranging my pillows--nothing worked.

Finally,at about 2:15, I took the gizmos off and soon went to sleep--still fitful, but at least it was sleep.

I managed to keep the gizmo on for about five hours, so I hope that tells the doctors something of what they want to know. But I'm going to call my doctor on Monday and ask for e re-referral and perhaps a stronger sleep medication as a one-time deal. I don't take my current prescription regularly--only when I think I'm going to need it--but I think that maybe I've built up a little resistance to it.

5 comments:

vivage said...

Ohhhh I am so sorry you have insomnia. Sucks, doesn't it?

Hahahah, all of us insomniacs could post posts all night long and talk to one another it seems.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I've always had a wacky circadian rhythm. Started after high school when I realized I didn't have to get up early for school anymore.

vivage said...

I'm def a night person, always have been. But I used to be able to sleep the night thru no matter what. For me, I think it's my flight or fight reaction is highly on all the time.

I don't have sleep apnea.

Anonymous said...

so what did your machine show?

xoxo
P

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I'm taking it down today, right now. I don't know that my test will tell them enough--unless how long I stayed awake was part of the test.