Sunday, February 01, 2009

Uke Circle

We never potpone uke circle. Ever. Not even on Superbowl Sunday. It's just as well, because it had only just started when we broke up at 3.

We had about 9 people in attendance I think. I had told everyone that a couple of us would be there at noon to help people get tuned up and help beginners. Do got there on time, but I arrived 15 minutes late due to the fact I stopped by Staples and made copies of some songs.

When I did get there, I tuned my three ukes (I always bring extras, just in case we get a newbie--that, and it's nice to be able to switch instruments when the whim strikes). Then, we got to relax a little and chat with 2nd-timer Sidney, who showed up about when I did.

I think Billie C came in around 12:30.

Showing up early was a good idea because I could be a lot more relaxed--not to mention prepared to play.

I brought copies of three songs. Ana brought a couple. And Fu manchu Rich brought several. I had also laid out stacks of leftover copies I have made over the months--mostly songs that we have played and then lost by the time of the next circle. So we had lots of songs to play and we got of the ground right away and played almost all of them with time to spare.

I like it best when we play a lot.

TV's Kyle guested with a song about a cellar door that wasn't there, Do accompanying him on her uke. Then Do sang the classic "Health Science," a song that she wrote about her Health Science class last summer. Billy C sang the Jacques Brel hit "My Death."

I sang nothing.

We wrapped it up with a rousing rendition of "This Land Is Your Land."

I think next month is the 2nd anniversary uke circle.

4 comments:

Billy Canary said...

Let's Bill it as such and have cake! Or Zoe can make cupcakes. Or we can go play on the mall. Or something.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

good idee!

VO said...

Invite friends just to hear and/or sing a long. You might get some newbie players that way too.

Donita Curioso said...

All very good ideas. Cupcakes, mall, friends. Make it an event.

mumeno- A very quiet dance