Wednesday, March 23, 2005

To My Legion of Fans

The good news coming out of the Uke Wars, at least for me, is that I am discovering that I face a public hungry for Uke Millennium updates. I have counted 5, count 'em, 5 different respodents to my posts. God alone knows how many of you there are who read my reflections, perhaps in search of some kernel of wisdom that might somehow give you comfort. Perhaps you are too shy to repond.

Of course, of those five, one is a friend from my high school years, one is my sister-in-law, one I think is my brother, and one is a guy with whom I teach. One, is a uke-world celebrity, which I think is pretty cool.

To all of you I say, pluck that uke like a chicken!

I am on Spring Break. Most of this time has been spent on family-type business. However, I have made a tentative plan with Uke Forever to drive to Carlsbad and the surrounding area to check out some music stores that stock ukes. One of them is Giacolleti's, where my two Bellefiore ukes were purchased. These are made by some retired guy in Temecula. If you find yourself in the area (Carlsbad, that is), and you play uke, you should check them out. The other store is Buffalo Brothers, where they specialize in high-end ukes. I don't know the name of the third store.

I need the break from family matters, so I plan on making the trip. Problem is, I have about ten ukuleles as of this writing. Unlike some, I find it difficult to part with any of them, except for two or three cheap ones that I got for next to nothing. They are OK for beginners, but I don't play them very much anymore. So, getting back to my problem, I have a little disposable cash this month and I am afraid that I will be tempted to make another purchase.

My collection, while not great, is pretty good in that I have three instruments that I consider quality: my two Bellefiore and my Oscar Scmidt OU5 (yeah, I know that some folk don't like the Schmidt's that much, but I like it for the softer, gentler songs). Most of my cheaper ukes are pretty good for the price: My Triumph and my Estrella, specifically. My Estrella is my sentimental favorite because it was a gift and it is my first. My Johnson soprano is not my best uke, but it was presented to me by my Advanced Placement English class, all of whom signed it. I play that all of the time at school.

The last time I went to Giacolletti's, there was a six-string Lanikai tenor with a pick-up that I had my eye on. Not to mention that I am a little smitten with the fluke. But my long-term goal is to save my money for a really nice, possibly custom, ukulele for when I become a virtuoso.

My other option has been to go spend a couple of days in Vegas playing Blackjack. Either way, I am out some money. But, with the trip to Carlsbad, I will at least have a nifty ukulele when I come home.

3 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

With whom I teach with?


I think you're lying to me about the group that walks up Mt. Rubidioux on Monday evenings. It closes a half hour after sunset. At least that's what the sign says. You're trying to get me to go up there alone at night so a mad rapist will get me, aren't you? ADMIT IT!

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I think they just string up a chain that you can get around. I'll call Phill and see if it's still on.

Howlin' Hobbit said...

"But my long-term goal is to save my money for a really nice, possibly custom, ukulele for when I become a virtuoso."

If you've read any of my other postings on this subject, you'll know what I'm going to say. But I'll say it anyway.

I'm all about saving up for a good ukulele. And don't wait until you're "a virtuoso", use the nice one to become the virtuoso.

And thanks for the nice comment. It's stretching things a tad but I'm all about egoboo too. ;-)

HH