Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Ukulele Nuff in Concert, part 2; My Latest Uke; A Very Merry Un-Birthday

So, I chickened out halfway with my performance today. But, given the tone of the assembly, I think I made the right choice. It might have been too much, had I gone with plan A. Instead of the Rainbow/Neverland medley, I performed U2's "Wild Honey," which I have been working on for awhile. I just couldn't get the other tune to the point where I felt comfortable performing it. I say that I chickened halfway because I DID play a new tune in public at least.

The parents of the young man who was killed in the hit-and-run were there to receive a special award, their son's class ring and graduation picture, which the young man had ordered before he was killed. This was followed by a moment of silence. I felt that this was tribute enough from the hearts of his friends and classmates. "Wild Honey" is a bouncy tune and was a good choice to set a fun tone for the assembly. I think that I have found a good rhythm and am getting to where I am owning it more in performance.

But I still am working on that Rainbow/Neverland thing.

I just bought a Belfiore Tenor ukulele from my friend Ukeforever, who says he now regards himself a soprano guy exclusively now. It is a beautiful blond instrument. I have strung it with a low G Nylgut and really like it. Belfiore is a uke made in Temecula, CA by this guy who also makes guitars. They are light and have a bold bell-like tone. I have another, soprano, Belfiore that I got two years ago at Giacolletti's in Carlsbad, where they are sold exclusively. This guy is getting better. My soprano is nice, but the action is a little high. This new one has a lower action and is easier to play. What also appeals to me is that it is unique (I think he only makes a couple in each style and then tries something new) and made in the US.

My birthday last Sunday. A pleasant, understated evening at Mother's. In attendance were Bro Bill, Sis-In-Law Vivage, and their two delightful offspring, L and Z. Got a brief case to carry my uke tunes in and a new multi-functional pocket tool thing to replace the one I gave Cuz-in-law Jim to hold for me during my Day in Court awhile back. As I handed it to him, I thought to myself: this is the kind of thing that, once you put it in someone else's possession, you will never see again, because you will forget to get it back until after you and the person to whom you have given it have parted ways and which the both of you will only remember only after arriving at the family get-together where you next see one another. Also, I got two Bright Eyes CD's. I like them so far. One song in particular, "The Arc of Time," is catchy and, I think, ukeable.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Happy (belated) beerthday, my friend!