Monday, July 04, 2005

Reflections after Having Seen Revenge of the Sith

To take my mind off the fasting I had to do before my butt-oscopy (see Journey to the Center of My Colon), I decided to take in a movie-one that I wouldn't have to think too much about. I hadn't seen the Revenge of the Sith, and am a Star Wars fan (note: not obsessed, just a fan-otherwise, I wouldn't have waited so long to see it).

I liked it much more than the two previous ones. Jar-jar, luckily, made only a brief, silent appearance. Padame, or whatever her name was, had a pretty thankless waiting-at-home kind of part. Her death, as well as Anakin's conversion, was hard to believe. I actually felt like they could have left out the first episode and most of the second and just fleshed out this episode more. It would have made a better trilogy. That, and I wouldn't have to keep thinking about how Anakin and Padame met when she was queen and he was a small boy. Something about that is just creepy.

The action was good, but, anytime the characters started talking, I got kind of bored.

Anyway, it reminded me of my old friend Larry.

Larry was the kind of guy who gave in easily to his most compulsive behaviors. He smoked too much weed, made huge purchases on impulse, using credit cards, and let his imagination rule when common sense would have served him better. He would go through economic binge and purge cycles. He would buy lots of toys on credit, lose his job, and have to give the stuff back or sell it for cash. The cars and motorcycles useless enough and he didn't need them. But Larry was an aspiring photographer. He would buy elaborate camera get-ups, just begin to be productive, and then lose it all at the end of each cycle so he couldn't ever take pictures, even when people were offering jobs.

The funny thing is, he knew when he was doing something stupid. What's more, I could always tell when he knew. He had this look in his eye, this expression on his face, and this tone in his voice. His favorite expression just before he did something really stupid and self-destructive was "I know what I'm doing." If Larry said that, you knew that what he really was thinking was "I know what I'm doing and it is a big mistake."

I went and saw the very first Star Wars movie with Larry, who was a big Sci Fi TV and movie buff. He loved Star Trek and Star Wars.

Never any books though. Larry didn't read.

Another favorite expression of his was to say that his teachers always told him that he was much smarter than everyone thought he was. One favorite anecdote of his was when our 7th grade English teacher told him "You have the potential for genius-just not the personality for it." I'm not sure if she really said that, or what she might have meant by it, or what it could possibly mean. I just know that Larry had more imagination than brains.

Back to the Star Wars connection. I may have seen the first one twice. I think I may have seen all three of the early films twice each. I liked them. Thought the special effects were cool. But I always felt like George Lucas had trouble coming up with satisfying endings. In fact, this last episode had the strongest ending of all the films, but even this one had a rushed quality about it, story-wise.
For the first three films, I'm pretty sure that each time I saw them, it was with Larry-who saw each of them so many times that he had the dialog memorized.

Larry took the films much too seriously. He felt that they were some kind of quasi-religious experience. He would often say things like "I think that George Lucas has communicated with beings from another galaxy."

What was even more odd was that Larry was a fundamentalist Christian. I don't know how he ever reconciled these two extreme concepts of his.

As I said, Larry had a hard time controlling his impulses. He dropped out of college before the end of his first semester. He held commissioned sales jobs at a couple of department store chains. He eventually worked his way up to department manager. He stole some prints from a wedding he had photographed. He had no money, as usual, and the customers wanted to see the prints and make their order. Got fired. Had to return his car and motorcycle to the dealerships from which he had purchased them.

And, of course, he had to sell his camera equipment.

This sort of thing happened several times before he turned thirty.

The last binge and purge cycle, he had been working at a motorcycle shop. Of course, after a couple of weeks, he had purchased the most expensive motorcycle in the shop. One day, he took a customer out for a test drive. He skipped the usual procedure of taking the guy's driver's license and. The customer hopped on the bike and took off. Larry followed on his own bike. When Larry signaled the customer to head back, the guy kept going and was never seen again.

Larry lost his job, etc.

This was about the third or fourth time this sort of thing happened to Larry. The boss insisted that he had to pay for the stolen bike. Plus, when he tried to return his own bike, the boss found a major ding on it and insisted that he pay for that too.

Larry was rescued by his father, who drove in with Larry's mother from Texas. Larry, Sr. had inherited a ranch in Texas and was doing pretty well. Most of the family followed him there and worked and lived on the ranch.

Larry, Sr. went with Larry to each of his creditors and offered to help make up the debt if they would cut Larry some sort of break. They all turned him down. The last creditor was Larry's ex-boss at the cycle shop.

"God-Dammit!" he said, pounding his desk. "That kid of yours is lucky I don't have him arrested."

The next day, Larry was spirited away to Texas. None of the creditors ever collected another dime.

I was in college as this all took place. I was usually the guy that went with Larry to return his various repossessed goods. Whenever we discussed my life, Larry would always tell me, "You know, I've already been to school-the school of hard knocks."

As I look back, Larry was kind of like an Anakin Skywalker, without the light saber or the Force stuff. That, and he wasn't put on this earth to bring balance back to it.

But, oh, the things he could have accomplished if he had stayed away from all of the crap he brought on himself.

6 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

I hope Larry can get some professional help someday. Has he pissed off anyone in Texas? Not a good idea.

The first Star Wars movie will always be the best. It stood on its own. I saw it 6 times the summer it first came out. I have no idea how many times total. Lots. Episodes 1,2 and 3 I've seen once. Even with all the new special effects they look cheap compared with the original. I'm glad it's finally over.

Jim and I had a Larry. His name was James. They probably don't have much in common except for the extreme flakiness factor. James was a load but he was a loveable and entertaining load. We enjoyed his visits. Then he disappeared for about 7 years. When he finally got back in touch he was a completely different guy. Now he was a load times 10 and no longer any fun at all. He was mean, demanding, racist (!), and twice the alcoholic he was before. The last time he visited I couldn't take it for more than 2 days. I packed his bags and put him on a bus. Before the bus came I lectured him nonstop for about half an hour. I told him to get professional help, not astrology, not tarot, not yoga, and certainly not ecstasy. I told him to get his driver's license and find a job and a place to live. I told him to fucking grow up (he's 8 years older than us).

We've had 2 phone calls from him since then. One on New Year's Eve when he was sloppy drunk (I love ya, man) and another a few months later telling us he was moving to Hawaii. He felt the people there would greet him with open arms and a lei. I wonder if they beat the shit out of him yet? Frankly, I don't care. We moved back to Riverside so he probably won't find us again.

I know that your relationship with Larry is very different. It's just one of those things where you can see clearly where this person is headed and there's nothing you can say to make him understand.

And the new Star Wars movies are crap.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Not complete crap.

I haven't been in contact with Larry for years. Saw him about 15 years ago, and things hadn't changed. I realized that I didn't miss any of his self-pitying, in-denial crap.

Donita Curioso said...

When I put James on that bus I told him don't call unless he's sober and in treatment. The very next phone call was the New Year's Eve slopfest where I was told many times that I am beautiful.

I don't miss him either.

It's too bad. We were friends with these people for a reason. At one time they must have had something to offer the world, didn't they? I was so angry at James for changing for the much, much worse. The things that made this high maintenance relationship work were gone and all that was left was the load. He's a Peter Pan type. Ugh!

Ok, so the new Star Wars movies aren't complete crap.

Jim said...

The really sad thing about Larry and james is that they can bring truly unique creative insights into the world, but in a sense the world just doesn't fit them. I learned a lot of interesting ways of seeing things from James, but he just became too difficult and risky to be around.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Larry never brought any unique viewpoint to the world. He was funny as a child. Had that been nurtured by his parents, maybe. But, as he grew older, he just became a lazy sap who made excuses for himself and blamed others for his problems.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to get in contact with you.
I'm a uke-friend from Sweden.
Please, send me a mail.

/
marcus.roos@bredband.ned