Friday, August 26, 2005

Uke Fest Preview

I was checking out the website for the San Diego Uke Fest, and it looks like it will be large on performance, while short on workshops. The only qualifier in that assessment is that, if last year was any indication, the schedule tends to be pretty fluid. At the ticket booth, there was a chalk board (I think) with the schedule that seemed to change throughout the day.

Most of the acts from last year seem to be gone:Lyle Ritz, Bill Tapia, Janet Klein. But there are a lot of other acts scheduled-Daniel Ho among them. Most of the performers are groups I never heard of. They sound like they might be mostly civilian groups, which sounds fun to me.

UF said that he didn't want me to attend his workshop because he would feel like he was being watched or something. I thought of just asking for a copy of his book, but I think I need him to explain it to me. So I'll probably go anyway.

I also notice that they will be offering a uke fest cookbook. Looking at sample pages online, it looks like authentic Hawaiian food, mixed with dishes that somehow work uke-speak into their names. Like Princess Pupula Has Plenty Papaya Salsa.

Most of the dishes look like direct violations of the diet I am putting myself on.

Also, there is a Ukes for Troops program advertised. Looks like you have to cough up a lot of dough if you want public acknowledgement, but I will probably donate something, if they'll take smaller donations.

At the very least, this will be a good warm-up for the Cerritos Uke Fest.

No comments: