Friday, September 08, 2006

Another 6 Degrees of Separation

I received a mailer from Janet Klein
announcing her upcoming Vaudeville Extravaganza. Janet Klein and her ukulele perform with a kind of lounge jazz with her band the Parlor Boys, among whom is Ian Whitcomb who had a hit in the 60's. They put on a good show.

I taught with Steve Klein
, Janet's father, for several years before he died unexpectedly. He was in his early fifties. Steve was a fine artist and nice man.

Back to the mailer. It surprised me to read the name of one of the acts, Davis and Faversham, a comic tribute to Abbot and Costello. Beavis Faversham (aka Martinez)traveled in the same circle of local show biz folk that I used to awhile back. Last I heard, he worked at Universal Studios costumed as either W.C. Fields or Oliver Hardy. Now I guess he's added Lou Costello to his catalog of stars.

1 comment:

Billy Canary said...

Beavis!!!Last time I saw him, about 15 years ago, he was standing in front of the Hollywood Wax Museum dressed like W.C. Fields. I said "Hi Bev! It's me Billy!" and Bev/W.C. kept saying "Go away son, ya bother me!" I guess he didn't want me to blow his cover.