Sunday, September 10, 2006

Apologies to My Sister

My sister is farther along the road to packrat recovery than anyone in my family. I said earlier that we all hoarded stuff we didn't need and, true, she has an entire room in her house designed for storage. But her house is spic and span at all times. Now, that storage room could be a mess. I don't know because I am afraid to go into that room when I visit. I have seen too many horror films that center around a forbidden room that tempts characters--even dares them--to try and unlock the door and see what's on the other side.

So I don't go in that room.

One reason that my sister is so neat is that she married wisely. Her husband is always cleaning. I have often thought of moving in with them because, any time there is a mess, he cleans it up. This is almost perfect for me.

The down side of that is if you just set something down with the intention of coming back for it later, he cleans that up too. This bad for me because I'm always setting things down "for later." Later might be in a few minutes, a few hours,...or even a few years--but I always come back for it.

Really.

4 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

I need a dose of OCD. Just enough to make me want to keep things clean. I saw a music video once that featured a woman who wandered around her house with a cart that was full of cleaning supplies. She wore those yellow rubber gloves wherever she went and she was constantly cleaning. Her house was immaculate. I was thinking man, if only I could get a blood transfusion from her.

Jim said...

Aww, Doni, but what if you are able to get a case of OCD and all you end up doing is flipping lights on and off in elaborate patterns?

Donita Curioso said...

Just set it to music and we'll have a great show!

vivage said...

hahahaha, I do have OCD and it doesn't help me a bit. But my house is mostly neat nowadays(at least the public areas).