Saturday, September 16, 2006

Doppelganger 2

A colleague and I met a group of students at the local UC library this morning...and there he was again.

It's spooky--not because I think the resemblance is all that great. It's spooky because I see this guy where ever I go on Saturday mornings.

We take classes to the UC library about 4 times a year and he's always there. In the Spring time, when I work in the RCC Reading and Writing Center, he always shows up there. When I go hang out at any of the many coffee joints, he's there.

The students, who sometimes behave sophomorically (because they are sophomores), made a big deal out of it. To make matters worse, it seems like we are dangerously close to spilling into one another's consciousness as doppelgangers. I know he could hear the kids giggling at him and me. Even my colleague is in on it. When a couple of kids went to him with a question, he pointed at the mysterious stranger and said, "I don't know, why don't you ask Mr. BABoR?" I guess they actually approached him and had the question half out of their mouths before they realized it wasn't me.

I am afraid this guy is going to try to speak to me. True, at RCC, he and I went to the restroom at the same time and he said something like "How's it goin'?" But I said nothing to him. I couldn't.

I'm afraid that some day he will say something like "Hey, do you realize how much we resemble each other?" and my world will be sucked into a wormhole or something.

Besides, I think he's ugly.

5 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Ooh, I want to see this guy.

Years ago when I was at RCC my friends kept telling me I had a double there. One of my guy friends saw her in the cafeteria and thought it was me. He went up behind her and grabbed her by the shoulders and went RRRAWRRRR!

Man, I wish I could have seen that.

Jim said...

You think your Doppelganger is ugly?
Oh dear....

Howlin' Hobbit said...

Back in the misty depths of proto-history I lived in Everett, WA -- a town of 35 thousand or so at the time -- and was doing a magic act. I also had a day job at a rather dismal convalescent center.

I arrived to work one day and was met with a round of congratulations on my upcoming gig and the article in the paper about me.

"Wha?", I cleverly responded.

They show me the paper and there is another local magician doing a show and damn if he didn't look just like me.

Never met him, thank goodness.

Skip forward a few years and I've moved to Seattle and started driving cab. Several times folk got into my cab and asked if I was some guy called "Sawed Off." Apparently he drove cab in town and looked like me (I looked different than in my magic years and I have yet a different look nowadays).

I got into a cab one day after I'd stopped driving 'em and lo!, there's a guy who looks kinda like me. I asked, and yep, it was good ol' Sawed Off. We had a good laugh.

Haven't seen him since.

Donita Curioso said...

Hey, does your double have longish blond hair? I think I might have seen him at Von's tonight.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

No, that's my dopellganger's doppelganger.