Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Mighty Wind

I've told most people this story, but those of you who don't live around here shouldn't be cheated.

My friend PJ's mother died just before Christmas. They held off on the memorial service until shortly after the holidays.

Like my friend Do, PJ's family does not adhere to tradition when it comes to celebrating a life. Where Do and her family take a musical approach, PJ and his family prefer a lot of speaking. A harpist provided music and PJ's vegan friend Dick provided guitar and raspy singing, but testimonials ruled the day.

Cut to the chase: As PJ closed the memorial, he asked that we all stand for a moment of silence in honor of his mother--that we pray, meditate, or just think of our favorite memory of his mother. Just as the crowd fell silent, someone released a hushed but potent fart--loud enough for only a few of us to hear. I looked up and met the startled gazes of four or five others--all of whom immediately averted their eyes back into meditation mode. I felt the urge to giggle, but suppressed it.

PJ ended the moment by saying "Now we hope you hold your memories of Mom gently in your heart."

Again, as if paid to do this on cue, the phantom farter released again.

This time, I kept my head bowed and I chuckled quietly. I couldn't help it.

10 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

At least you didn't cut one.

vivage said...

That we know about.

Billy Canary said...

You smelt it, you dealt it.

Donita Curioso said...

You belt it, you felt it.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

real mature, guys

Donita Curioso said...

You melt it, you Celt it.

Billy Canary said...

You sniffed it, you whiffed it.

vivage said...

That's Mrs. Guys to you buster!

Donita Curioso said...

>pft!<

Oops. Excuse me.

vivage said...

Damn, that was SBD.