Friday, February 09, 2007

More Reflections on Patti Smith's "The Jackson Song"

Vivage had mentioned that she first heard this song when she was prego with Blowhard Canary. That's when I heard it too, while I lived in their house with them. Billy C had a radio show on a local college station. I rarely listened to it on my car radio because the reception was iffy. But I did one time while driving around UCR shortly after the child prodigy's birth and just caught the end of this show, where Billy dedicated this song to his new infink son.

I think now that it might need a female voice singing the lead (Princess?) with the boys' lush harmony wafting in the background. There's a line about seeing a hero's wing and thinking of daddy followed by a line about a nestled wing and thinking of mommy that just sounds better coming from a female.

I supposed you could juggle that part around somehow, if you had to. Plus, there are plenty of songs out there written and sung by men where the persona is a woman.

4 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Wow, I just bought it on iTunes. That's quite a song.

vivage said...

That song always makes me tear up.

I think you boys can make the song work with or without a female singing it. I wonder if it would be more weird if Zoe sang it since she is so young and the song is so not for a young girl of her age?

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I was just listening to John Prine's "Angel from Mongomery," which has John Prine singing from the persona of some older woman. I guess if he can do that, we can too. Maybe tweak the gender specific lyrics.

Billy Canary said...

Dream of Life is such a powerful LP to me. I could play "People Have the Power" all through the night. The line about the people having the power to "wrestle the world from fools" is so incredibly enabeling.
Vivage and moi saw the first concert of her Gung Ho tour at the Grove in Anaheim. She came out and forgot the words to her first song, giggled and plowed thru it. About 3 songs into the set (it was a very beaty number, but I don't remember which), she spat on the stage. The Aud. roared. It was a definitive moment, fer sure. Her website is: pattismith.net.