Saturday, April 29, 2006

Can You Hear Me Now?

Remember the second installment of Star Wars? Not the second episode, but the second installment, The Empire Strikes Back. There was this bald guy who followed Lando Calrisian around. He never spoke and had this electronic gizmo around his head, covering his ears. No one ever explained who he was, what he did, or what the gizmo was. The only time it was ever hinted at who he was and what the gizmo was for was when Lando realized that he had to help Leah and the robots escape aboard the Millenium Falcon because all hell was about to break loose. At that moment, the bald guy and Lando shot one another a knowing look. At that point, I surmised, all of the little lights in the bald guy's head Gizmo started broadcasting instructions into the Millenium Falcon's data base and perhaps notifying all of Lando's loyal friends to get the Hell out of Dodge.

The bald guy and his gizmo were there for these types of emergencies-at least that's what I surmised. I figure now that this gizmo was an old-school futuristic rendition of a cell phone. If the film had been made in this day and age, or if George Lucas could digitally fix it, the bald guy would be wearing one of those ear-pieces that you see on the streets today.

I bring this up because today I am at the RCC Reading and Writing Center and my friend and colleague (The Lee, as I call him), has just introduced me to one of our fellow adjunct instructors. The three of us chatted for awhile and I couldn't help but be distracted by this ear-piece she was wearing. It looked like one of those things Madonna wears onstage, except it had this wire that ran down the front of her blouse and ended at this little tiny microphone that was clipped near her collar.

These devices seem to be the rage. Many people whom I respect, including Billy C, wear these things. There was even this guy at the harmonica workshop
who played a blues harpo and wore one of these things. That just seems weird to me.

I have an old-school cell phone: big, awkward to carry in your pocket, always lost. I sometimes carry it with me. But I only use it grudgingly, since fewer and fewer places seem to have reliable payphones. Few people have the number because I don't want to get interrupted when I'm busy with something else.

I've always had a slight phobia about phones, since my days working retail in the Monkey Wards' Catalog Department. So I try to control their intrusions into my life. I can't imagine why anyone would want one around all of the time.

The first time I realized how behind the times I was occured when I went to grad school at the same university where I had earned my BA 20 years earlier. Back in the day, you would see mostly people walking around talking to each other. But the first thing I noticed in grad school was the number of people walking around talking on their cell phones. As I approached graduation, I began to see people walking around seeming to talk to themselves. These people, of course, had these little wire microphone things so they wouldn't have to hold the cell phone to their heads and get brain cancer.

Now, of course, they have these little ear-piece cell phones that you can just stick in your ear and go forth in a state of constant contact.

Puts a whole new meaning to the phrase "Be Here Now."

8 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Ugh! Does everyone want to join the Borg collective these days? I think these people are showing off. Oh look at me, I have a phone stuck in my ear. Puh-leeze. Ok Lt. Uhura, I know you're helping Kirk save the Galactic Empier but do you have to do it while we're having lunch? Here? On Earth?

vivage said...

I love mine. No more fumbling around trying to find the cell phone or trying to dial when you're in the car.

I don't walk around wearing mine tho. I use mine in the car because I don't want to cause an accident because of a stupid phone.

I rarely call anyone on my cell to chat. In fact, I never do. Mostly it's there so the kids can call me in case of emergency or I can call them to find out where they are and when do they need pick up.

Donita Curioso said...

I'm sure they're very handy. I'm also sure that there are people who really do "need" to have a phone stuck to their head all day. But it seems to me if someone has an expensive-looking device hanging on them it's there because they want people to notice it. I think eventually the novelty will wear off and people will move on to being dazzled by something else.

Oops! Gotta go. My vagina phone is ringing.

Jim said...

(Nerdiness alert)
I think that the phones are still little rectangular boxes with buttons and displays on them, and the earpieces are either wired or Bluetooth (short-distance digital wireless) headsets.

So, how do you feel about rabbits with phones, BABoR?

(vagina phone... Cripes, what's the world coming to?
Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, Vagina Phone!)

Billy Canary said...

I wear my bluetooth whilst driving so as not to hit a palm tree whilst talking. It also makes it more convenient when talking on my sphincter phone.
xo
billy

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I'm not so sure about how handy these phones are. But I do think they're kind of eerie.

vivage said...

I do not want to hear my vagina talk. Besides, if you're wearing pants the voice will be awfully muffled.

Sphincters talk too much and usually stink.

I'll stick with my bluetooth and not care a whit about letting it show in public.

I guess my motto might be No Pubic in Public.

Jim said...

Lando's human/cyborg aide was named Lobot, and he was played by John Hollis, who died last year. The shiny box on his head allowed him to communicate directly with the ship's computer.

Why do I know this? Because I'm a lot more of a cyborg than I was in 1977! I... MDB. Don't prepare, you've already been assimilated.
Why did I look it up? I...must be bored...