Saturday, April 15, 2006

In Defense of Tofu

This was going to be a reply to a comment from Do, but it turned into another blog entry.

My theory is that, often, it's not the meat, but the stuff we put on it that makes it flavorful. So, in most soy-based meat substitutes, it depends on what you do with it. The flavor, to me, comes from the fruits and vegetables anyway. So instead of ground meat, I put the ground soy substitute in my spaghetti sauce. Infact, my tasty version of spaghetti sauce is this:

1. Saute one chopped-u onion and as many chopped-up cloves of garlic as you can stand.

2. Add one package of soy crumbles and brown.

3. Dump in 1 can of lentil soup, one jar of tomato sauce, and one can of tomato paste.

4. Stir.

5. Simmer.

6. Glob it on some spaghetti or other pasta.

6A. Add some Parmesan cheese.

7. Eat.

8. I also sometimes scramble some eggs or egg substitute or egg whites and use that instead of adding the soy.

9. Either way, I don't miss the meat.

10. In honor of my late great friend Keith R, "That's what she said."

Yes, I am aware that most of us eat much more protein than we need. That's why I surround my protein with fruits and vegetables. And carbs.

Yes, I am aware that we eat far more carbs than we need, so I cut that down too. I'm not sure that I'm ready to go cold turkey on that yet. Or that I need to. My inner jury is still out on that one.

Barry Sears, the Zone guy, says that soy protein is good because it helps regulate your blood sugar (one of my concerns these days).

He also likes cottage cheese.

Cottage Cheese tip: mix about two cups of berries with three and 3/4's cups of cottage cheese and 1/4 cup eggwhite-based protein powder. Sprinkle on some cinnamon (also good for managing blood sugar, so they say) and nuts. MMMMMMMMboy! Try Greek-style yogurt instead of cottage cheese, even better.

When I do crave meat, I go organic, or at least free range. It is better for you and tastier, as is anything organic.

As for Tofurkey, stay away. Stay very away.

4 comments:

vivage said...

I'm thinking about cutting meat from my diet all together. I know I'll miss it but it gets more and more icky to me for various reasons. I was thinking about blogging about it and probably will now. I'm not a fan of faux meats so never shall tofurkey cross my lips.

hgixxcse: excising hexes

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

For me, the line between faux meat and processed soy protein is a fuzzy one.

Next week: I review Boca Burgers and Meatless Balls.

That's what she said.

Thanks again, Keith.

Jim said...

There seems to be some disagreement here as to whether meatless balls are better than no balls at all.

Donita Curioso said...

I had bacon this morning!!! BWAHAHAHA!!!!