Monday, January 30, 2006

The Canaries Part Tres

I have postponed my latest review of the Canaries performance because I was a little disappointed in it. Let's just summarize by saying that what we lacked in skill, we made up for with enthusiasm.

We performed "I Feel Fine" by the Beatles-a favorite of mine for a long time. Myself and Billy Canary playing ukuleles and harmonizing. Canary Liam providing vocals.

We rehearsed for about an hour-and-a-half before leaving for the open mike. We had gotten to the point where we almost had it, but not quite. It was at the state of almost memorized, but not to the point where we felt comfy-cozy with it.

As a result, at least for my part, we were still thinking too hard when we were performing. Somewhere in the course of the song, I thought I had played a wrong chord and let that trip me up. I don't know how others feel about how they did.

Canary Liam, Billy's son and the youngest Canary, got to do a solo rendition of "Tambourine Man," accompanying himself on guitar. He began with a joke about a naked man and an elephant the punchline of which was "How do you breath with that thing?"

Then he played the song. He was pretty good. He took the song slowly, but sang with feeling. I think that he is still searching for a musical identity, experimenting with different instruments. And he is just discovering his voice.

No comments: