Monday, February 27, 2006

The Canaries Go Collectively Solo

Open Mike Night, Folk Center.

I crowded but fine evening of music. Long, but fine.

But I'll get right to the BIG question: How were the Canaries?

The Canaries didn't play together. We all played solo. We needed room to grow. Artistically that is.

Billy C was very good. He played his castratobari and sang "My Death" by Jaques Brel, a Belgian singer-songwriter who was once alive and well but is now not so. He nailed it. I especially liked that he did a song that probably few people had heard. This is a dark song that worked well with the uke-it's spritely tone the perfect contrast to Billy's deep voice and the songs somber timbre.

I sang "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime," which in the past has not been my best tune. I was introduced by my nom de blog I was going to sing another tune that I had been practicing using a cheat sheet, but thought better of it. I felt good about it and got a good response.

There was one lady there, second to last performer, who played the tinwhistle. She talked more than she played. Billy C and Liam C both thought she was amusing, but I just wanted her to shut up and play. The last singer was this woman from Peru who spoke limited English. As she sang, she had this bald guy translate for the audience.

There was also this band of French guys, one of whom played the digeridoo while the others played guitars. It was a French song, but there was no bald translator.

Liam Canary performed "Across the Universe." He was as charming as usual. He is quickly finding a voice.

Tomorrow's blog: The Bro A-Bomb, Howlin' Hobbit, Billy Canary, Pops Bayless Time-Space Continuum revealed.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I hope you songbirds haven't permanently gone your separate ways and that you'll "Let It Be" and "Come Together" again, but in the meantime, I regret missing your Sunday solo performances (we were just so busy last weekend!). In particular, I'd love to have heard Liam sing "Across the Universe", one of my personal faves.

Brother (A-Bomb) Can You Spare a Dime is a good song; I wonder if you've ever considered doing "You've Got Your Troubles I've Got Mine." Just a thought...