Sunday, February 12, 2006

I Want to Save You Some Time

This guy I used to team-teach with came out to visit his son and his newish granddaughter and we got a chance to meet and have a beer. I jumped off my wagon for this occasion, but will jump right back on after tonight. It was a good meeting and he returned three CDs and one book he had borrowed five years ago.

Actually, I'm not sure whether two of the CDs were mine. But it has been so long and I have had so many CDs that I took them anyway. I'm sure he borrowed them from somebody.

Afterwards, I went to Barnes and Noble and looked around for about an hour. I browsed through a display of political books and had an epiphany that many of you may benefit from.

You know the old saying "You can't judge a book by its cover." Well, these days, you can tell a political book by its cover. If you read the title, the author's name, the name of whomever wrote the foreward, the "reviews" on the back cover, and both inside flaps, you've pretty much read the book. The only part you haven't read-the hundreds of pages inside-can be summed up with the words "We're good. They're bad. In fact, when reading the back cover, you can even skip the "reviews." Just read the names after the reviews. It's usually the same few people. If you see the names of Rush Limbaugh (who probably doesn't read as much of the book as you just have) or William Bennett (who is famous mainly for collecting the writings of others and then misinterpreting them), well, the book is for conservatives. If you see the names of James Carville or (I can't think of any other liberal writers) it is for liberals.

Then, go to the fiction section. The reading is better there.

No comments: