Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Teacher Sells Used Ukulele for $5000!

Just kidding.

I'm mapping out my summer. I don't have much disposable income this month, but this phase of vacation planning is free.

Top three possibilities are a re-visit to the Summer Solstice Folk and Storytelling Festival, the Taos Writers' Conference, and a trip up North to the Portland Ukulele Festival.

I have been thinking about the Napa Writers' Conference. I went three years ago. I didn't have the best of workshop leaders there. She was the Poet Laureate of Connecticut or some other state. She was flaky and was unprepared. All of the workshop leaders were expected to do a night time reading and a daytime lecture. She was alright with the reading-it gave her an opportunity to sell her books. But during her lecture, she kept saying "I'm really not used to doing this sort of thing." On her web page, she claimed that she conducted many workshops all over the country and apparently held a faculty position at a university. So I couldn't help but wonder why she wasn't used to lecturing.

But the food was good and the other writers ere pretty good.

I have no complaints about the Taos Writers' Conference. Both times, the instructors were very friendly and hung out with the participants. The last night, in fact, our short story instructor, who wrote a fine collection of stories entitled How Animals Mate, got drunk with us.

The Summer Solstice Festival last year was about the most relaxing weekend I have had in a long time.

This Portland Fest sounds like it might be a fun road trip, with several major players in the uke world.

Anyway, it's all about relaxing.

No comments: