Thursday, February 09, 2006

I Tried It, but I Don't Think It Worked

My friend Jim says that you can e-mail your blog entries. I tried what he said to do, but my e-mail blog hasn't arrived. Maybe it's on a delay. Maybe it ended up on someone else's blog.

I may never know.

I didn't watch much of the Grammys last night, as I said in my e-mail blog, but I did catch the photograph of Sly Stone and his silver mohawk. I often think that some rock stars feel obligated to create a costume for themselves. It may change from time to time, but you know it's them by the look. Sly was always like that too.

I wonder if they do that so, when they go about their day-to-day lives, they aren't recognized.

Once, when riding an elevator in New York, I'm pretty sure Diana Ross was riding with me. She was a dainty woman, dressed pretty casually-in sweats, if I remember correctly-and her hair was in a wrap. Had we not been in a fairly nice hotel, I might have thought she was destitute. She had a big, toothy smile, like Diana's and she smiled sort of like she knew me.

With her was a very large, well-dressed black man and a couple of other younger women, also well-dressed. I didn't ask her who she was because I didn't recognize her until after I got to my room.

I recall that, awhile back, Ross was arrested on a plane because she raised a ruckuss about being treated badly by the crew. Don't remember what specifically happened. But I wonder if the grew recognized her. Again, maybe she was dressed down-not wearing the sequines or big hair.

So, after reading about how Sly is trying to "be normal," as his brother said in one article, I wonder if the Grammy outfit, with the big sunglasses, "Sly" belt buckle, and silver mohawk was just his way of being recognized while keeping his life private. I mean, he MUST dress differently when he's mowing his lawn or washing his car.

4 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

This is the exact reason why I look like crap when I go to the grocery store. It's such a pain in the ass to be recognized.

Howlin' Hobbit said...

I posted on this subject last August. I called it On the importance of being a 'toon.

But I like being recognized when I'm at the grocery store (bookstore, bus, whatever). :)

HH

Donita Curioso said...

Actually, if someone I knew actually saw me at the grocery store looking like crap I'd be mortified.

And now I must go and rinse out my tiara so I can go buy beer.

Jim said...

BABOR, I'd be happy to walk you through setting up to mail it in. When I set it up, it looked like the easiest thing to forget to do was push a button called something like "save changes" on the page where you entered the email address...