Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Funny Hats and Beer....

I think I'm feeling a little more serious about starting a Sunday afternoon Uke Gathering. We could call the group Inland Empire Ukulele Society (I.E. UkeS: Clever, yet scholarly). My initial thought was that we could play with my friend Al, Al Fresco. We would meet at the UCR Belltower or something. Maybe Fairmont Park.

But, hey, why not go for the TURDS model? Those British guys really know about loud silly fun. And what better place to have loud silly fun than a pub? I've been in British pubs-ones that actually stood in Great Britain. I have actually sampled the house brew in a couple. There is no country in the universe that understands loud silly fun better than Great Britain. That's why their first name is Great.

And beer. What other ingredient promotes loud silly fun than BEER? So, we find a loud silly brewery in the Inland Empire with a loud silly patio and reserve it for the I.E. UkeSters.

It reminds me, if I may wax nostalgic, of the days when I taught at another high school. Oh, we didn't have ukes then. But the English Department there knew how to have loud silly fun.

Every couple of months, we would have poetry readings. Ok, I know that that doesn't sound especially loud, silly, or fun-but they were! We would go to a local place that would sell us beer and we would read great poetry while drinking. Trust me, it got silly. And loud. The only thing missing was funny hats.

Trust me, you don't know what loud and silly is until you have tried to analyze W.B. Yeats' "Leda and the Swan" after three or four beers. It takes on a whole new meaning.

Now, throw in a couple of silly hats and you've got something.

Take out "Leda and the Swan" and replace it with several ukuleles and you have something truly special.

Howlin' Hobbit, you magnificent bastard!

11 comments:

vivage said...

Maybe the fairmont park of yesteryear. Nowadays I think you might have an audience of guys hangin out in the bamboo.

I like the name I.E. UkeS. But I don't like beer.

Damn my comments are boring.

Donita Curioso said...

Or, since it's summer and hot in the afternoon perhaps an evening meeting would be preferrable. Also, it would take you out of future Casual Sunday shows. You're a special, special guest.

Just a suggestion. No pressure.

I like the brewery idea. Hmmm... What brewery around here has a patio? Hmmm...

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

This is bigger than casual Sundays. BIGGER!

Donita Curioso said...

Yes, of course it is. Goes without saying.

Donita Curioso said...

Um, I think even if an atheist goes to church he will still burn in that lake. I'm not sure, it's just something I heard.

"vivage is much older"??????? There had to be a better way of saying that.

I'm not a beer gal either but recently I was introduced to BJ's brews. Lordy, that's good stuff. Everything else is crap. I sorta liked the beer at the Riverside Brewery. But only sorta.

vivage said...

Heh, I'm married to Nuffs bro. Used to be a bartender too, so yeah, I've had lots of exposure to beer.

Still don't like it.

I'll drink tequila while you all swig your beers.

Ummmm, and I don't think those guys in the bushes are swallowing liquor. I'd think twice about accepting anything that comes near your lips if I were you.

vivage said...

Yeah, Vivage is much wiser is a much better way of saying that.

Donita Curioso said...

No, no, I'M Jeff's brother.

vivage said...

Maybe it's my masculine voice when writing?

I know a real life gender bender but I'm not one of them.

No worries about the age crack, I'm a few years younger than Jeff and his bro so I'm still a spring chicken relatively speaking.

Billy Canary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jim said...

I'm Atom Bomb's grey-haired gender, in case that helps.