Sunday, May 22, 2005

High Anxiety

I re-read my letter from the guy who will be leading my workshop in Taos this summer. I have got to come up with a piece of short fiction that draws off of its setting. In other words, it must be a short story about place. I have this unfinished short story that has always gotten good feedback and has always been left unfinished. I could try and finish it, but I feel like I'd only be playing it safe because I have already gotten positive feedback on it and it's not like I'd be coming up with anything new.

And like I have enough time to write.

I also have a weekend poetry workshop at the same conference. This also deals with place. I'm not as worried about that, although I haven't written any poetry for awhile.

As for the fiction workshop, it just sounds a little more advanced than I thought it would be.

Anyway, that's one reason I started this blog-to keep my writing chops warmed up for when something hits me. There are a couple of things here that I could work on. But I'm in my masterpiece or nothing mode right now.

My experience at last year's conference was really good. I wrote a lot and enjoyed the people.

The previous one wasn't as good. It was in Napa valley and the food and wine were good, but the workshop was not. Our leader was an ok writer, but I don't think that she was especially concerned with her students. I got the impression that she hadn't really planned much and that she was more concerned with how many books people bought.

The one thing I did get from her was how to write a Sijo (see first post). I like that form more than haiku or tanka. It's long enough for some kind of narration, but short enough to keep you honest. No room for false steps.

But, at Taos, the feeling was very good. The people were generally friendly. I was really able to relax there.

8 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

You should write about your kitchen, It's the -place- where you lost your egg boiling mojo.

Donita Curioso said...

Please forgive me. I'm in smart-ass mode.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Some of us have always been in smart-ass mode. See you tomorrow evening at the foot of the mountain.

Billy Canary said...

Write about the Folk Music Center.The open mic nite stuff.
Or maybe even Yale Ave.
Or Montgomery Wards.
Or The Sire.
Brother Pepper Spray of Love

Billy Canary said...

Write about the Folk Music Center.The open mic nite stuff.
Or maybe even Yale Ave.
Or Montgomery Wards.
Or The Sire.
Brother Pepper Spray of Love

Billy Canary said...

You can ignore either one of the previous 2 comments.
Brother Pepper Spray of Love

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks for the walk. Hey, you could write about Mt. Rubidoux. It's a pretty interesting place. Think of all the conversations that happen on that hill. How many have taken place over the last 100 years? That's what people do there. They walk up and down the hill talking to each other. It's like a giant cone of chatting energy.

Heavy, man.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Billy Canary, you can say that again.