Monday, May 23, 2005

The Uke as Folk Instrument

I missed the Claremont Folk Festival last weekend. I just couldn't scrape together the desire to go. At the last two, Jumpin' Jim Beloff showed up and led a couple of ukulele workshops. They're usually geared for beginners, but they're still fun. At the last one, I was impressed at how my skills had improved. There were some songs that we played that were impossible for me two years ago that were simple last year. I like Jim's workshops.

I didn't see him on the schedule this year, which was a disappointment. But I have the feeling that a lot of the music Jim would perform did not fit the "folk" theme for some. I recall that he sang "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing," which is a little sugary for my tastes.

Jim is an excellent musician, uke-wise at least, and is an excellent workshop leader. Whether or not Jim leads workshops, they should continue to have uke workshops at this fest. What could be more of a folk instrument than the uke-accessible to a broad range of abilities, easy to carry around, has traveled the world and has been adapted to many different genres.

I was looking at pictures of the Seattle Ukulele Players' Association (I think that's the name) recent Ukulele Sunday event. Basically, what they had there was a folk event: People of a community playing together, swapping songs.

It would be fun to try that around here. Maybe during the summer. Pick a public place, get a few people to meet, attract the interest of strangers. Who knows?

3 comments:

Howlin' Hobbit said...

The SUPA (Seattle Ukulele Players Association) folk are marvelous. But if I was going to start a uke group I'd model it more after TURDS (The Ukulele Research and Development Society).

Why?

Beer, that's why.

TURDS meet in pubs and SUPA meets in Senior Centers.

Oh yeah. And funny hats. TURDS members must wear funny hats.

Now, the level of playing ability is probably going to be greater at SUPA. But no beer. Or funny hats.

HH

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

You are turning your back on your petite, sincere lover, the ukulele, and becoming a slave to the voluptuous, but insincere, guitar. Oh, yes, her curves are alluring. But she is false. Read my last post and tell me what you think. Not about the style of the post, but the substance, if your guitar-whipped ass still has any.

Jim said...

You guys might consider leading a "fun with ukes" kinda workshop at the fokfest next year...?