Thursday, May 05, 2005

I Retract Previous Post

But I will leave it up for any entertainment value.

I had a good time at the concert. There were many groups performing and lots of students and former students were in those groups. I especially liked the percussion groups-even the steel band.

The staging was a little overwrought. The sound system was probably bigger than when we had Jaguares play in our gym. It was also uneven. There were times when you could hear everything very well. There were other times where you could hear some parts better than others.

It was hard for me to tell. But the sound on my little schpiel kept changing. I wasn't speaking that loud, but I had my mouth very close to the mike and, at the beginning, it was way too loud. I was going for an whispery, evil tone. Like I was disturbed. I mean, I was reading Poe, so it seemed appropriate.

Anyway, it was short and sweet.

The professional actor who performed "One Night in Bangkok" was alright. But I kept thinking about how UF and I could do it on ukulele.

Oh, and the jazz choir, which sang "Take the A-Train," "Bangkok," and "The Raven," was pretty good. The best vocal performances I have heard from that group.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Alan Parsons was an engineer on The Beatle's "Abbey Road", y'know. And then he did "Dark Side of the Moon".

But I don't know if he ever asked for more cowbell.

I haven't really liked any of his "project" stuff very much anyway. It seems like he's trying too hard. Kinda pedantic or something.

When you're real close to a mic, distance becomes more significant. I think it's an inverse square- or cube-law thing.

You can also sound evil and disturbed by standing well back from the mike and screaming your lines. Works wonders for "here comes Peter Cottontail".