Monday, October 10, 2005

You Can't Tell a Book by It's Cover

On the first meeting of the night class that I teach, one of the first people to walk in the door was this really skinny kid. She had a real angular look about her and her dress was rather masculine, but, after studying her, I realized that she was probably a man. When he took off his paramedic's cap, he revealed his two-tone close-cropped haircut, as well as a subtle amount of make-up. So, I figured he might be a gay man. Then, I studied him again and I realized he was, after all, a woman--Still gay, but a woman. The way she sat, the way she carried herself--all of this seemed lesbi-ish to me. Then, as students finished writing their first writing assignment, I asked if anyone wanted to read what they had written, she raised her hand and read this piece about her husband and young son.

I promise I wasn't staring at her. This was all a part of my usual sizing up of students as class begins.

I'm just saying that this woman had a lot of layers.

4 comments:

vivage said...

Hmmmm, was this intentional? * I asked if anyone wanted to read what they had written, she raised her hand and read his peace about her husband and young son.*

Am not sure if he was really a she or is a she with a masculine slant; and that she/he's made her/his peace with her husband and young son or it was just a piece about them.

Are you confused yet?

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Fixed it.

vivage said...

I kinda liked the intentional typo. Very Jungian.

Donita Curioso said...

It's Pat!