Saturday, January 17, 2009

Uke at Do's Dos

Uked at Do's tonight with Billy C in attendance.

The night started slow. I got a call on my cell from Mike C, former student of many years ago. He's about 40 now and he's in own because his uncle is dying. He wanted to get together some time this weekend to take a break from the hospice.

Worked on Sweet Jane, which sounded pretty cool. We tried sneaking into it without the traditional opening riff, using Do on the dumbek instead, followed by me singing the first verse a capella (except for the dumbek), and then Billy C coming in with the riff on the chorus. After finishing one run-through, Billy C started into Satellite of Love which I thought was a cool blending of the two songs. It sounded like he was just finishing Sweet Jane, but--surprise!--it's now Satellite of Love!

The we did Tweedley Dee. I kinda suggested it because I felt Donita was getting sad. This weekend is the anniversary of Jim's passing. A couple of Jim momentos around the house caught her eye and she became bummed. I thought the song would cheer her up a little.

We then did Ofuskee. Not our best rendering, but we all like that song. One thing that pepped it up is Billy C doing a solo that was both odd and sublime. Up until that point, none of us did solos, I don't think.

Tomorrow, I'm going to join Mike in Murrieta for breakfast. Afterwards, Do and I may take Mama C to see her friend who is not doing so well. She and her husband are old friends of the family and they are the parents of a good friend who passed away a few years ago. She has diabetes and recently had her leg amputated and has trouble taking food. No appetite.

A sad weekend shaping up, but it had a good start.

7 comments:

VO said...

Hey, has anyone told your mom about Betty passing?

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

No. We talked about that last night--how, at our little post-christmas thing, Mom brought up something about Betty and Bill chose not to say anything because of the timing.

I just found out that my friend's uncle died this morning and, even though I did not know him, I'm a little tired of people passing.

VO said...

Unfortunately there is no cure for passing.

Billy Canary said...

There is a cure for passing. We just haven't figured it out.

Donita Curioso said...

Jeff, I love you.

I've been a little off lately and I know it's because of the approaching anniversary. I think the sadness has been lurking just below the surface and I'm not always aware of it. Thanks for catching me before I could fall.

I'm sorry about Mike's uncle. Since he had AD his passing is sweet release, but Mike will miss the uncle he grew up knowing. That's how I felt about my favorite aunt when she died. She was 89, had suffered three strokes and had AD. It was time for her to go. But I sure do miss her. I miss the Aunt Ruth of age 50 to 60, when she was a fierce and fun ol' gal.

I hope and and Mike can still find some time to get together while he's here. He'll be busy with family and funeral stuff but it'll still be good for him to take a break.

Last night was awesome.

stongs- a utensil for picking up sheets of music

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

"stong" is actually the past pluperfect tense of "sting."

Donita Curioso said...

I meant to say I hope YOU and Mike can get together, I just re-read what I wrote. And and?

Tonight I went to Ken's. We had an awesome dinner and then tore it up in the living room on guitar and uke. It was perfect.

reatsu- a form of japanese massage that is very repetitive.