Monday, April 25, 2005

Open Mic (Mike?) in Claremont

I am genetically predisposed to getting to places one-half-hour later than I intend, I have decided. My intention was to get to the Folk Music Center early enough to get on the first half of the sign up list. Unfortunately for me and music history, that was not to be.

UF got there plenty early and even he was performer number nine. I was fifteen. I think that I have always ended up being fifteen.

There were a lot of people there to perform. I think over thirty signed up, causing the management to cut each performer down to one song. The only exception was Trailer Park Mac and his band, whatever their name was. Mac and the boys are pretty good, and Mac is a well-known regular, so they got to play two songs. I was a little afraid that Open Shirt Guy would have insisted on playing two songs, because he has a pretty inflated idea about his talent. But he didn't.

Speaking of Open Shirt Guy, he was pretty friendly over all and joked with some of us and complimented each player as they stepped down from the stage. He also stayed until the end, which he doesn't often do. He's one of those performers who makes you sit through his set, and then leaves. When his turn came up, he tried to set up a sing along to a song that was pretty nice, but complicated lyrically. I t went something like this: "Oh, hie thee faire maid/for thine ample young bosom/Doth heave and sigh for I./Aye, I doth know./ For it's I'm goin' fro to yonder/to a maid who is much blonder/And I would'na spare protection far below."

Or something like that.

It made me long for the simplicity of "Wimoweh."

But it was an entertaining moment. Many of us "oohed" along. Some chuckled.

UF sang his Walmart song. It got a pretty good response. But, this being my second or third listen, I think it needs more ambiguity. I find it very Randy Newmanesque. I just wish I didn't know what he meant by it. I love that sort of thing.

A young woman sitting in front of me was wearing low-hung jeans and a thong. That was a bonus.

The guy who played second that night sang this great song he had written about surviving volcanoes and other disasters which prepared him for surviving some unnamed woman's love.

There was one guy who sang one original song and still managed to clock in at over ten minutes. It wasn't a bad song, but the intro, mid-waytro, and outro was a little self-indulgent and could have been edited. As soon as he finished, he left.

There should be a law. This particular open mic has a communal sense about it. If you don't want to be a part of the community, go play at Starbucks.

There was a trio that reminded me a little bit of the three stooges. I kept expecting them to be funny, but they weren't. They were good and their harmonies were unique.

Donita and John performed a blues song, "Make Love Like a Man," that simply smoldered. Her voice and his guitar played very well together.

Billy Canary was in the audience, but did not perform.

I performed U2's "Wild Honey." I don't know why this crowd made me nervous. I sang the same song in front of 1500 screaming teenagers at an assembly last month and that didn't phase me. But I was nervous last night. I think the only way it really manifested itself was that my voice was a little wavery and I repeated part of the second verse twice.

Next month is the Claremont Folk Music festival. So there won't be an open myque until June.

I need to practice more. It is hard to find time. I am hoping that I can find someone to practice regularly with.

8 comments:

Howlin' Hobbit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Howlin' Hobbit said...

Regarding "Open Mic (Mike?)"... according to Samuel Bayer (who has a PhD in Linguistics) it's Mike, Dammit.

I'm absolutely positive it's not "myque".

HH

PS -- removed my first comment because it was hideously deformed in the typo department. Hopefully I'm awake now.

Donita Curioso said...

So, you like that ass-thong-hanging-out-the-jeans look, eh?

Men. I'm glad she wasn't sitting in front of me. Whenever I see a thong peeking out I have to fight the urge to grab that sucker and give it a yank. I was lucky. I had oxygen tank guy. I'm sympathetic but the noise coming from that thing made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. Every few seconds it would go psssst....psssst. Jim kept thinking someone was trying to get his attention.

The song we did was called Love Me Like A Man. Somehow, Make Love Like A Man conjures a different image. But thanks for the nice comment just the same.

I get nervous in front of those people, too. I don't know why. I never feel nervous at Pepito's. This time I relied on Propranolol to keep me calm. I know that's cheating but I don't care. I have the prescription because I have tremors but it's great for stage fright. I call it my chill pill.

I loved the disaster song. Mobile Home Mack is always a treat. Open Shirt Guy... I like your mangling of his lyrics. You should make that into a real song. Kind of like Ed McGurdy.

Anytime you want to practice with people come on over.

vivage said...

Nuffy,
You're just now figuring out the genetic predisposition now?

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

"Whenever I see a thong peeking out I have to fight the urge to grab that sucker and give it a yank."

Me too.

Anonymous said...

Well then the evening must have been torture for you. Such distraction!

I owe you an apology. You kindly offered me a Listerine breath strip and I reacted as if you had just handed me a warm turd. I should simply have said, "No thank you". Besides, I probably needed it. Please forgive me for being a smartass.

Donita Curioso said...

Whoa! How'd I post as "anonymous"? Anyway, it was directed to Mr. Nuff, Not Mr. Teacher.

Now I will respond to Mr. Teacher. I also thought Special Ed sucked. With a name like that he should have been more special. And he cut in front of you after you watched his guitar for an hour? what a dick.

I liked your Walmart song. Sorry you found Love Me intimidating. It's meant to be instructive, really. Kind of like, "Ow, you're on my hair."

Was anyone else thrown by the sound? That was a different sound guy, right? I had a hard time hearing myself. I don't remember there being any monitors before but the last time I sang there I could hear just fine. And it seemed like he had a hard time adjusting the levels once people started performing.

Maybe it's just me.

Jim said...

Yeah, the new sound guy didn't have it together. I think the speakers were positioned differently last time too.
BABOR wrote: I just wish I didn't know what he meant by it. I love that sort of thing.
Sometimes I like listening to foreign songs where I haven't the foggiest notion of what they're singing about. It's freeing for me.