Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Pencil of Shame/Stinky Students

I understand when high school students don't do their work. As a teacher friend of mine summed it up, "It's not their fault. It's all that new hair."

But college students, even community college students, should have some dedication. Hell, they're PAYING for their education.

This kid walks into my college class tonight. I had him as a student when he was in the ninth grade. His work ethic hasn't changed much. During the first quarter, on four separate occasions, he showed up for the first hour of class and then left. I assumed that, on the fourth offense, he would just decide to drop and I'd never see him again. The following week, he was a no-show. Spring Break came and went. The first meeting after break, he was a no-show. Then, tonight, he walks in. Now, mind you, on top of this, he hasn't turned in a single assignment.

So I told him to get his belongings and come outside and talk to me. I told him that he was welcome to stay, but he had no chance of passing the class at this point. He had no response. He just left.

Geez, this was so high school.

Happened last week with another student. Missed four classes. No contact. No assignments. Showed up after four weeks. Didn't bring his textbook. Didn't bring a notebook. Did bring a pencil. I took him outside to explain that he had no chance of passing. Same scenario, except he wanted to know if there was any way I would accept late work. I said no. He then asked if I minded if he went back into the class and got his pencil.

It must have been an important pencil.

Tonight, while I was lecturing, this one student got up and walked out for something or other. As he did so, the woman sitting next to him gasped, turned, and started laughing uncontrollably. So much so, she had to leave. Some other students started giggling as well. I noticed this rotten stench that seemed to come from nowhere. It stunk!

I thought, did someone pull a fart-for-laughs joke? That's what it smelled like.

I couldn't believe that would happen, even at a community college. I figured that it must be an unfortunate series of unrelated events.

Both students came back after awhile.

After class, the woman and her boyfriend, also a student in the class, asked me if they could move. Apparently, the phantom stench was a trail of body stink that trailed behind the guy who got up and left. No fart, just nuclear BO.

This couple told me that this guy's stink had been a problem all semester, but had become lethal tonight. Or, as the boyfriend put it, his boys were visiting the rest of us.

I'm not sure how you tell an adult that he needs to bathe before class.

1 comment:

Donita Curioso said...

EEEUUWWWW!!!!! He's been like that all semester???

Start burning incense.