Sunday, April 17, 2005

Open Mike Coming Up

I think next Sunday is the next Open Mike at the Folk Center. The last two were cancelled: February, because of the Oscars, March, I dunno why. Maybe they needed a break.

One song I think I'll do is "Take a Giant Step"-a song that Taj Mahal does, but I think it's written by someone else. Sounds pretty good on Ukulele. Has kind of a calypso feel to it. I'm not sure about the other song. It might be "Little Red Riding Hood," by Sam the Sham. Or, it might be "America, I Gave My Boy to You"-a song that I found on Betty Lou's guitar site. It's a WWI recruiting song. I played it for my classes once during our WWI unit. It's of the same theme and tempo as "Over There." It's all about American's being willing to sacrifice for their country. Slow it down a bit and it takes on an irony that the authors probably didn't intend. At least, I think it does. I guess I'll find out if I perform it for the folk music center crowd, as they are pretty anti-war.

Here's Betty Lou's site: http://betty.hypermax.net.au/index.html

Here's where you can find the song: http://betty.hypermax.net.au/americaheresmyboy1.htm

I find the Betty Lou site a little confusing. It's got a lot of songs, but the organization is sometimes hard to follow. It's best just to browse and see what you come up with.

Back to the open mike, I'm not sure what uke to take. I like my new tenor, but am re-thinking the whole lower g-string thing. It was ok, back when I was sewing my wild-uke oats, but I find myself drawn back to the traditional soprano tuning. Also, I'm not sure that the nylguts' sound is so much better so as to make up for the relative stiffness of the strings. Then there's the aesthetic question: the white strings blend in with the blond wood of the uke, giving the appearance a monochromatic look. Black strings would provide a better contrast.

I am opening up my playing through the beauty of the barred chord. It makes some chord progressions easier and makes most chords sound more interesting. If only there were more time to practice.

I think I need to either take lessons or play with someone else regularly. When I do play with someone else, I seem to make more progress. The band my brother and I keep talking about putting together, the Mighty Procrastinators, never materializes. He did say that he cleaned out his barn. I've got an old can of paint and my Mom can make the costumes, so maybe we can put on a show.

Just got Snake Suspenders' CD in the mail. So far, my favorite song is "Peoria." Reminds me of the old folk song, "Marching to Pretoria," except it expresses a more carnal intent.

I also like the scat-singing. I think someone should teach a scat-singing workshop at the next uke fest I go to. Except, I think scat singing is something you can't teach.

I have purchased more uke-o-centric CD's in the past year or so than I have in my entire half-century. What has become of me?

3 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Ooh, I'd love to hear how you sing Little Red Riding Hood. I'm not rooting for it as an open mike song, I just want to hear you sing it. I like Take A Giant Step.

I'm not so emotionally fragile these days so I could probably listen to America, I Gave My Boy To You without running out of the room.

What ukulele you should take depends on what you're wearing that night. Jeez, everybody knows that.

I wonder if listening to Ella Fitzgerald would help you learn how to scat. She's amazing.

I talked to John, our bass player, about doing open mike. He's very interested. Ken wants to come, too.

Howlin' Hobbit said...

You can teach scatting, just not in an hour or so like at a workshop.

Donita is on the right track with listening to Ella. I've learned a lot of mine by working with (and thus listening to) Thad, who is a master scatter!

Glad you're enjoying the Snake Suspenderz CD!

ciao for now...

HH

vivage said...

Sheesh, it's a nighttime performance right? Black is always appropriate for evening...especially black g-strings.

Man, Donita, he still has things to learn.