Monday, April 18, 2005

Workout

I was supposed to do the Rubydoo hike, but forgot. But I did go to the gym.

I have been noticing the last couple of years a change in whom I see at the gym. Now, I have been going up and down in weight during most of my adult life, so I don't mean to be judgmental. But it seems like people I see at the gym are getting heavier.

Back when I first joined a gym, the clientele was much buffer than I was. In fact, it was a kind of meat market, where the most beautiful, muscular people would go to show off their tight bods.

Now-of-days, it seems like people built like me are the norm. In fact, I would be tempted to say that I am among the middle weights of gym-goers. And I am definitely overweight.

Nuff, you say, this is what happens as people grow older. And I would say that you are right. Anyone my age should be changing, buffatude-wise.

But I'm talking about the younger people as well. Young men and women who go to work out are pudgier than they should be. Oh, you can go back to the free-weight room and find the exceptions to the rule. However, even they are shrinking in numbers.

This may be the era of the neo-rubenesque.

3 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Neo-rubenesque. How attractive.

It was the same way when I first started going to gyms. Maybe more of us fatties have decided that we need to at least try to get fit, even if we don't fully succeed.

Maybe people just aren't inspired these days. In the 80s we had these fitness gurus all over the place. Movies like Flashdance and Perfect glorified people who were fit. Do we have that now? Maybe the pendulum has just swung to the doughy side.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

No. I think that we have become a culture of fast food addicts-especially kids. Like I said, I'm not surprised when I see someone our age carrying a little extra girth. It's the flabby cross we all bare when we age. But it used to be that these places were meat markets where the beautiful young men and women would go to strut the physiques. But, now, even the 20-somethings are packing the extra poundage. I think that I saw about three people who were actually in shape.

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, you're probably right. They've put vending machines in the highschools and it's easy for kids to get out of taking P.E.

"Flabby cross" conjures an interesting image.