Thursday, April 21, 2005

RIP, Les

Take care! Beware
of the green-eyed dragon with the thirteen tails!
He'll feed with greed
on little boys, puppy dogs and big, fat snails...

Just got an e-mail from Billy Canary telling me that Les has died. He was 89. He had dropped so far out of orbit from many in the old Mish Dinner Theater group that most of us assumed that he had died.

Les was the guy who played the older character in most of our productions. He played the Rabbi in Fiddler. He played the Buster Keaton role in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, he played the old Indian Chief in Little Mary Sunshine. He was a real hoot.

My experience at the Mish was mostly as the newbie who had no training in show business. I started acting there when a guy in the cast of Fiddler 2, who was a lawyer by trade, was told by his wife that he needed to spend more time building his practice and less time in show biz. I got called in as his alternate.

Les was one of those people who was very encouraging to me backstage. He always had a kind word.

One night, as part of the pre-show, I sang a song called "The Green-Eyed Dragon," an old chestnut I had gotten from a minister friend of mine. It is a quasi-classical novelty tune with this wonderful piano bit, kind of like "Pink Elephants on Parade." I wish I had an arrangement for ukulele because it is one of the few songs that is permanently embedded in my brain.

Anyway, when I came off stage, Les was there, asking me "Where did you find that song?" He had heard it when he was young. In fact, he had a recording of John Charles Thomas, a popular tenor in the 30's and 40's, singing that song. I sang that song almost every show night during the pre-show.

One night, just before the show, Les presented me with a tape he had made from some of his old 78's. Among the songs was John Charles Thomas singing "The Green-Eyed Dragon."

Others included a very young Frank Sinatra singing "Old Man River," Bing Crosby on "I Hear America Singing," and some popular baritone singing "Glory Road."

When the dinner theater closed back in '83 (I think), that was the last time I saw Les. What a fine man.

I should probably try to work out a uke arrangement for that song.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Doesn't the term "green eyed dragon" usually refer to jealousy?
Anyway, let me know if you'd like some help working out a uke arrangement; I can at least figure out chords for you.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I don't know if you ever heard that song. Pastor Rohr used to sing it all the time. His son Grant played it with a zing that I have never heard from anyone else who has accompanied me. Right now, UF has his grubby hands on it.

UF, if you read this, "grubby" is a term of endearment in swedish.